Wuthering Heights
Mere Christianity
Madame Bovary
Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Crime and Punishment
Hamlet
The Forgotten Garden
These Is My Words
The Help
Ella Enchanted
Princess Academy
The Goose Girl
The Kite Runner
The Great Gatsby
Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
The Giver
A Wrinkle in Time
Lord of the Flies
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Ender's Game
}

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

thank you, dr. burton

In his introduction to Paulo Freire's Pedagogy of the Oppressed [now on my to-read list], Richard Shaull writes: 
Education either functions as an instrument which is used to facilitate the integration of the younger generation into the logic of the present system and bring about conformity to it, or it becomes "the practice of freedom," the means by which men and women deal critically and creatively with reality and discover how to participate in the transformation of their world.
I don't think I've ever heard this idea put into words more concisely. When I read this, it struck a chord and I immediately thought of my favorite teachers, from kindergarten to today. They all have at least started me in a direction of critical and creative thinking that have started me on the path to at least thinking of ways to connect and create with those around me a better world in one way or another.

It's not very often that I get excited about a school project. In this class, however, I've found myself thinking of things I never would have thought about and learning the skills that might actually make that possible. Thank you, Dr. Burton for choosing to do something different with this class and helping each of us to find a way to "transform our worlds."

So, here's a shout out to all those teachers [and future teachers] who will change the world vicariously, through their students. THANK YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment