Wuthering Heights
Mere Christianity
Madame Bovary
Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Crime and Punishment
Hamlet
The Forgotten Garden
These Is My Words
The Help
Ella Enchanted
Princess Academy
The Goose Girl
The Kite Runner
The Great Gatsby
Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
The Giver
A Wrinkle in Time
Lord of the Flies
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Ender's Game
}

Friday, May 13, 2011

final review of Rainbows End

Rainbows EndRainbows End by Vernor Vinge

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


An interesting read, but not my favorite.



When I was assigned to read Rainbows End for a class, I worried about re-entering the realm of sci-fi after a long hiatus. Fortunately, there was only a minor struggle to get back into the mindset. I was pleasantly surprised by characters I could relate to and "science" that wasn't too far out of my realm of thought. Vinge brought up legitimate concerns with the advancement of technology, but left the reader to deal with and come up with answers to the problems he presented [which I feel like he should've at least addressed]. Fiction-wise, Vinge left me sitting on my bed wishing there was more, not necessarily in a good way. It was difficult for me to fit together the two stories that were finally connected to each other in the last couple of pages. Overall, though, I enjoyed reading this book.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment